10 replies to this topic

#1 Murderklok

Murderklok

Lift Veteran

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • LocationNiagara Falls, Ontario

Posted 22 December 2015 - 11:57 AM

I just started using Gamewisp subs yesterday, however, I've been tinkering and playing with the website for about two months. Three months ago, I started to consider using it. So this decision was not made lightly. Here are the key points that my decision process went through and I figure it might help some other casters with their decision.

Am I worth subbing to?

This was a struggle for me and the biggest hurdle to get over, mentally. The way I looked at it was, "If I can't have Twitch subs, then why should I have any subs at all?" After mulling this over in my head and people beating it into my head that I'm worth it, it started to click. I've been streaming for 1 year and half. I've spent thousands between hardware, games, and missed work. If my community thinks I'm worth it, then screw whatever Twitch's standards are. Which brings me to my next point...

What if I leave Twitch?

Not that I'm planning on leaving but this is a valid outcome in the future. Something else comes along and Twitch traffic goes down. Casters move somewhere and with them, their audience. Eventually Twitch will become Myspace. This could happen and if Twitch subs in my income (or a least a major part of it) I'd be shit out of luck. However, with a third party option, like GameWisp, I can freely move to YouTube, Beam, Hitbox, whatever else comes up, and maintain the subscription model and benefits.

What can I offer to subs?

This took me awhile to think about. Subbing to me, but I'm obviously still going to stream the same as always. I needed something to offer that was something above and beyond what I'm doing now. I started my GameWisp account two months ago and just kept editing and adding/removing sub benefits. Scoped out other sub benefits that people offer, stole some ideas, tweaked some ideas, whatever. I wanted to make it so being a sub feels like you're appreciated and rewarded. I didn't even tell anyone I had a sub option until I was happy with it. I also made tiers, but the higher tiers are just optional. Essentially, you get all the benefits at the base level, the other ones are just if you want to pay more, and some do. I chose to do this as to not segregate the sub tiers and leave people out. Also, its less confusing. 

Planning for the future

At this point in my streaming 'career' I feel its a shit or get off the pot situation for me. Whereas, I love streaming but financially, it doesn't support me, quite the opposite actually. My community has been great with donations/tips, but I still spend more than that. I'm fine with all that, this year was a blast. But its time for me to start laying the ground work to make this a real career option. 

Whats the difference?

Really just emotes, like seriously

Anyways, just throwing all that out there. Hope it helps and explains where I am and why I made this decision. 

*Dictated but not read* Kappa

Beam | Twitter

#2 SuperBadJuJu

SuperBadJuJu

Lift Veteran

• Lift Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,186 posts
  • LocationNew England, USA

Posted 22 December 2015 - 12:40 PM

I just started using Gamewisp subs yesterday, however, I've been tinkering and playing with the website for about two months. Three months ago, I started to consider using it. So this decision was not made lightly. Here are the key points that my decision process went through and I figure it might help some other casters with their decision.

Am I worth subbing to?

This was a struggle for me and the biggest hurdle to get over, mentally. The way I looked at it was, "If I can't have Twitch subs, then why should I have any subs at all?" After mulling this over in my head and people beating it into my head that I'm worth it, it started to click. I've been streaming for 1 year and half. I've spent thousands between hardware, games, and missed work. If my community thinks I'm worth it, then screw whatever Twitch's standards are. Which brings me to my next point...

What if I leave Twitch?

Not that I'm planning on leaving but this is a valid outcome in the future. Something else comes along and Twitch traffic goes down. Casters move somewhere and with them, their audience. Eventually Twitch will become Myspace. This could happen and if Twitch subs in my income (or a least a major part of it) I'd be shit out of luck. However, with a third party option, like GameWisp, I can freely move to YouTube, Beam, Hitbox, whatever else comes up, and maintain the subscription model and benefits.

What can I offer to subs?

This took me awhile to think about. Subbing to me, but I'm obviously still going to stream the same as always. I needed something to offer that was something above and beyond what I'm doing now. I started my GameWisp account two months ago and just kept editing and adding/removing sub benefits. Scoped out other sub benefits that people offer, stole some ideas, tweaked some ideas, whatever. I wanted to make it so being a sub feels like you're appreciated and rewarded. I didn't even tell anyone I had a sub option until I was happy with it. I also made tiers, but the higher tiers are just optional. Essentially, you get all the benefits at the base level, the other ones are just if you want to pay more, and some do. I chose to do this as to not segregate the sub tiers and leave people out. Also, its less confusing. 

Planning for the future

At this point in my streaming 'career' I feel its a shit or get off the pot situation for me. Whereas, I love streaming but financially, it doesn't support me, quite the opposite actually. My community has been great with donations/tips, but I still spend more than that. I'm fine with all that, this year was a blast. But its time for me to start laying the ground work to make this a real career option. 

Whats the difference?

Really just emotes, like seriously

Anyways, just throwing all that out there. Hope it helps and explains where I am and why I made this decision. 

*Dictated but not read* Kappa

Good stuff man, I had many of the same dilemmas.  My big thing was ensuring that I wasn't holding anything back from those who can't or don't want to sub.  I'm still working out tiers, but as of right now I'm simply running one low-price (3.99) tier that doesn't have any perk outside of a thank you each week.  Part of me questioned if I was being lazy by not offering a reward or multiple tiers, but on the flip side I really only want people to support me if they truly believe in what I do and think it warrants support.  I also really don't want to build tiers that would make people feel inequal.  We'll have to see what I decide to do, still brainstorming ideas about how I can offer perks without leaving others out...maybe give non-subs a way to earn sub rewards / privileges?  Tweet the stream out X times to unlock tier 1, watch for x hours to unlock tier 2...something like that.  Any ideas let me know.  

SuperBadJuJu.png

:rolleyes:  Twitter | Steam | YouTube  :rolleyes: 

#3 Firebottle

Firebottle

Lift Regular

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 12:52 PM

Great post!

I've always had a hard time trying to figure out when the best time is to start offering up a way to donate, buy merchandise, or even use affiliate links. There is always the worry that viewers might see me as selling out or "doing it for the money". Do you have any advice on when that right time might be? Do you feel offering any of this from the start will cause viewers to look badly on you?

beam.pro/firebottle - Tuesday through Sunday at 7pm CST.

#4 Murderklok

Murderklok

Lift Veteran

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • LocationNiagara Falls, Ontario

Posted 22 December 2015 - 01:13 PM

Great post!

I've always had a hard time trying to figure out when the best time is to start offering up a way to donate, buy merchandise, or even use affiliate links. There is always the worry that viewers might see me as selling out or "doing it for the money". Do you have any advice on when that right time might be? Do you feel offering any of this from the start will cause viewers to look badly on you?

I feel that offering it right away does indeed give a negative impression. 

For me, I don't know if there was ever a right time, but I had to look at what I've done so far and the time I've put it in. I feel I've been told enough times that I have content worth subbing to. It was just a matter of coming to terms with that in my head.

Good stuff man, I had many of the same dilemmas.  My big thing was ensuring that I wasn't holding anything back from those who can't or don't want to sub.  I'm still working out tiers, but as of right now I'm simply running one low-price (3.99) tier that doesn't have any perk outside of a thank you each week.  Part of me questioned if I was being lazy by not offering a reward or multiple tiers, but on the flip side I really only want people to support me if they truly believe in what I do and think it warrants support.  I also really don't want to build tiers that would make people feel inequal.  We'll have to see what I decide to do, still brainstorming ideas about how I can offer perks without leaving others out...maybe give non-subs a way to earn sub rewards / privileges?  Tweet the stream out X times to unlock tier 1, watch for x hours to unlock tier 2...something like that.  Any ideas let me know.  

Well, I decided to not make any real difference between the tiers besides some chat points difference as to not leave other subs out. I'm still thinking of ways to reward those people who sub to the higher tiers, but for now, its completely optional to pay more for the sub.

Beam | Twitter

#5 JDubb

JDubb

Lift Veteran

• PipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 December 2015 - 02:43 PM

I have had mine setup for a while now, but never really had any success with it.  Its a great way to offer a benefit, and one day when I get a community going it will definitely be an awesome feature of the channel.

#6 SuperBadJuJu

SuperBadJuJu

Lift Veteran

• Lift Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,186 posts
  • LocationNew England, USA

Posted 22 December 2015 - 02:47 PM

Great post!

Twitch is an odd beast.  See, it's impossible to truly sell out off the bat.  Most people lose money on Twitch, it's borderline impossible to start out and "do it for the money" as I'm sure you've seen.  But perceptions are important.  Going balls to the walls monetization off the bat can send the wrong message, but at the same time if you're working hard and pouring your heart and soul into your cast, there's no reason you should block people from being able to support you. For me, it's a matter of priorities.  So long as someone has put the work in and done the basics, I see no issue with offering people a way to support you. 

What bothers me is the people who rush to get affiliate and donation links BEFORE they've pursued actually filling out their panels and troubleshooting audio and video to ensure the quality is the best they can manage with their current hardware.  That sends the wrong message.  That said, when it comes to casting I've never seen an entire profession so averse to profiting off of the work they do.  Just as some people monetize too early, others don't monetize enough.  It's like people feel guilty for working in a field they love or are too worried about perceptions.  If you're sinking hours and hours into bettering your stream and spending money out of pocket to improve it then go for it! Enable your community to support you.  There's a huge difference between enabling it and pushing it on people.

My philosophy is outlined on my gamewisp page, here's a section of it: 

"Talking money is never fun or easy, so I'll try to keep this brief: My core content will always be free, I understand not everyone has money to spend on luxuries like entertainment. That said, I have a responsibility to work and pay my bills. It is MY responsibility, not the viewers. However, my ability to create fun gaming content is limited by my need to work and pay the bills. Friends like you who support the stream enable me to devote more time and focus towards my content creation and spend less time worrying about keeping my wife and I fed and keeping a roof over our heads. It makes upgrading the stream easier. That is why I created this Gamewisp account. Your contribution provides further financial security and enables me to keep at this."

SuperBadJuJu.png

:rolleyes:  Twitter | Steam | YouTube  :rolleyes: 

#7 Stemor 61

Stemor 61

Lift Regular

• PipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 05:03 PM

I've considered a GameWisp for a little while now, doing the same thing Murder has: coming up with rewards, tweaking tiers, determining one or multiple tiers, etc. Trying to reward people who subscribe and not alienate people who don't sub or can't afford to sub is hard. As with a lot of decisions I make that have to do with money and the stream, I asked my audience. A number of people said they would sub to me from day one, a number said that I should do it and I "deserve" it and the rest had no negative opinion on the possibility. 

Am I worth subbing to?

It is a question that I think a lot of us that have a GameWisp now or plan to in the future seriously struggle to answer because you have to take yourself out of the position of the streamer and look at yourself as a viewer with some expendable income. Among the masses of people that I see jumping on GameWisp, you are among the group that I feel are worth it. It's because of the quality of your casts, the amount of time you pour into your stream and how apparent it is that you're in this for the long haul. I think that validates your worth to possible subs.

If you're sinking hours and hours into bettering your stream and spending money out of pocket to improve it then go for it! Enable your community to support you.  There's a huge difference between enabling it and pushing it on people.

This.

If you have any doubt about if you're "worth it," if you're wondering if it makes you come off as greedy or something, ask your audience. If you have no audience to ask, it may not be the "right time."  

#8 pokeyoureyesoutgames

pokeyoureyesoutgames

Lift Regular

• PipPip
  • 398 posts
  • LocationChi-Town!

Posted 23 December 2015 - 01:20 AM

We've been thinking about getting GameWisp since we saw it at Twitchcon.  But it's a process that isn't been thought of lightly. Mostly and mainly for the same reasons you all have been having.  What sort of benefit do our subs get? Do higher tier subs get more benefits? Is this the direction that we'd like to go?  It also felt a little cheap. Cheesing out the twitch sub button for a different site that handles it.  Was one of the same reasons we didn't ever get a pateron (or however it's spelled) 

But the more we thought about it.. Twitch has made it a lot harder to get a sub button because of how saturated the site has become this past year.  We know that we are a quality above some streamers who have a sub button, and really - people are asking for a sub button.  So it is just coming down to that last and final push to if we're going to set it up or not.

With Murder's post and new button.. might be the final straw to our decision.

#9 DoctorFark

DoctorFark

Lift Veteran

• PipPipPip
  • 855 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 23 December 2015 - 12:43 PM

I feel like MK, PYEOG, JuJu, and a number of other channels are far and above better quality shows than some existing Twitch partners. The main difference is those partners pull in higher numbers but I attribute that to the whole "they were there first" situation. Had we been there first, it'd be us.

In that sense, I feel like if your community is asking for ways to support and sub, give it to them. Do it in the right way for your channel, but give them the option.

I don't feel that my channel is quite there yet but there are definitely other channels that are.

#10 Rummble

Rummble

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 01:22 AM

I really like the idea of GameWisp but like you guys, I struggle with the tier system a bit and the "Am I worth Subing to?" question. I would really like to get my viewer count up before implementing something like this as well.

#11 Des

Des

Lift Regular

• PipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 24 December 2015 - 01:35 AM

Great thoughts Murderklok! I'd have to agree on your points. It's good to be thinking of yourself as a brand outside of Twitch and if the day ever did come, you could leave Twitch for another platform and you wouldn't be SOL being tied down to only Twitch subs.