#1 SuperBadJuJu

SuperBadJuJu

Lift Veteran

• Lift Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,186 posts
  • LocationNew England, USA

Posted 17 July 2015 - 11:47 AM

Welcome to The Lift Gaming Community Spotlight!

This is a thread dedicated to highlighting active, dedicated members of our community here at Lift Gaming.  We want to showcase those in our community who we feel exemplify the values we hold dear at Lift Gaming.  Every two weeks, we will showcase a new Lift Gaming community member here to help raise awareness of their projects and contributions to Lift.  You guys and gals are our lifeblood, we wouldn't be here without you!

Lift-Gaming-Logo.png

SuperBadJuJu.png

:rolleyes:  Twitter | Steam | YouTube  :rolleyes: 

#2 SuperBadJuJu

SuperBadJuJu

Lift Veteran

• Lift Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 10:37 PM

Long Overdue: Announcing our first Community Spotlight Recipient

Sladverr!!!

I have had this sitting in my email box for a while and have needed to post it.  We chose Slad for the work he has done in our community moderating for a few channels and helping out with various things on Lift.  Slad is taking some personal time to get a few things straightened out.  Besides having been my a mod for me full time (I can count the streams he missed on one hand), Slad has modded for others in the community and for our official Lift Gaming Twitch account.  He's written an article on moderation for Lift and helped test various features on the website.  He's one of Lift's original members and we look forward to his return.

Slad.png

Lift Gaming (LG):  What got you into Twitch?  What is it about Twitch that you love?

Sladverr:  I have used Twitch here and there over the years, but I really got into it around October last year. I was in a gaming clan since 2008, and some stuff happened last fall that made me leave. After losing that community, I felt empty, and I needed something to replace it. That's when I started watching small Twitch streamers, making friends with them, supporting them, etc. Twitch has exactly what I need, and I love it.

LG:  Who are your favorite streamers and why do you like them?

Sladverr:  Well, since it may seem biased, I'll leave SuperBadJuju out of this one. I actually find it difficult to properly answer this question. There are so many streamers that have come and gone in the many months I've been a viewer, a lot of them I really enjoyed. I would have to say the streamers that I enjoy the most are Insanesp00n and Zeth63. First off, if I'm following your stream, that means I enjoy your content. Now, the reason I picked these guys is because of their randomness and ability to make me laugh. The time I spend in these channels is mostly just me chuckling. Insanesp00n has the wit. Zeth63 has the charm.. and he's Zeth. Just because your name wasn't included doesn't mean that I don't love ya!

LG:  You moderate for a few channels, what are some of the challenges you face?  What advice do you have for others who mod or are looking to become mods?

Sladverr:  The biggest challenge for me is simply learning the in-and-outs of that particular channel. I don't act until I know how to.. and that can be frustrating for me sometimes. I might have that gut feeling, but I never assume it's the right approach. Another difficult task is defusing situations. I never want to be the bad guy, but sometimes I have to make the calls, even if it upsets someone. If you want to be a moderator.. and I mean SERIOUSLY be a moderator, and not just a viewer with a dull mod sword, just consider what you're getting yourself into. Do you really have the time and patience for it? Do you get frustrated easily? Don't look at it like a reward, because it's not. 

LG:  What's next for you?  Where do you see yourself in a few years?

Sladverr:  I've been devoting majority of my time and effort being a moderator for SuperBadJuju and also on the forums. Honestly, don't know what's next for me. Currently, this is the only thing I've got going for me, and just want to make something out of it. I can't stream, so I figure this is the next best thing, right? Within a few years, I'd like to see SuperBadJuju and other amazing streamers reach their goals. Streaming isn't easy.. but you don't have to do it alone. Remember that.

LG:  Tell us about your best Twitch experience!

Sladverr:  My best experience has to be discovering Lift (through Twitch.. LOOPHOLE!). I've been a member of communities in the past. I've seen them build up and fall within a couple months. When I joined Lift, I didn't expect much, just being honest. I had hopes, but it was new, and I wasn't sure. So I joined it, and I've been with it since. I really knew I was where I belonged as soon as other streamers started to commend me for my moderating abilities and just as a person. This global acceptance is by far the best feeling and experience. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Sladverr:  Magic and miracles, man.. Don't ask scientists, they just lie and it makes me angry. Kappa

Congrats!  Check back soon, we'll have our next featured Lift Gaming Community Spotlight posted in the near future!

SuperBadJuJu.png

#3 SuperBadJuJu

SuperBadJuJu

Lift Veteran

• Lift Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 01:26 PM

Our next featured member for The Community Spotlight is:

DES!

C3DB8Dg.jpg

Des has been with us at Lift for a while now and contributed multiple articles and videos.  Des is one of our resident YouTubers who also loves to hop on Twitch for some game development casts or to play games with his community.  He's always willing to answer some questions on the forums and share his video editing knowledge.  Congrats Des!

Lift Gaming (LG): What got you started producing content on Twitch and YouTube? What inspired you?

Des: Ever since I was 12 or 13 I wanted a creative outlet and career. I was in college at the time when I started doing stuff way back in the early days of Justin.tv. My studies at the time and now career are very technical based so I decided to make a real go at it in September 2014. Day[9] was a huge inspiration for me, just a guy wanting to share his passion for a game that he loves with others. Since being on Justin/Twitch early I knew the importance of good branding and ease of access so I changed all of my monikers to Des TV Gaming. If I could snatch up my old Justin.tv tag, IamDes and on all of my social media I would love to.

LG: If you had to pick between YouTube and Twitch, which would you prefer and why?

Des: I really like both platforms. If I was to be locked exclusively to one though I would have to go with YouTube. I think it offers a lot more in the ways of discoverability than Twitch. Your content is always available to be viewed from around the world and searchable, plus you can be a lot more creative in your production that would be difficult, if not impossible to do on a live stream by yourself. With all that said though, it would be great to just fire up my stream every day and chill with my viewers playing games on Twitch.

LG: You've streamed some game development on Twitch, can you tell us a bit about your upcoming game?

Des: Yeah! The first game I ever created was back in June 2014 titled, Fancy and the Fox. It was for the 2014 Indie Game Maker Contest where the challenge was to create a game completely from scratch in one month. I was extremely pleased with the results after only one month of work, the quality and presentation of it was great but the content was definitely lacking.
In late January 2015 I started work on a new game and have been chipping away at it ever since, streaming my enjoyment and all of the struggles. It’s a 2D old western RPG with you playing as Elijah Stone, a quick shot who just arrived in Fens Valley. You’ve been hired to protect a local ranch from wild dogs and cattle thieves. Train robberies, murder mysteries, love, revenge and more awaits as you try to survive the wild west. I intended for it to be released last September but as that grew closer it was clear there was still a lot of work to be done.

LG: As a content producer, what do you feel the biggest challenge you face is? How do you tackle that issue?

Des: The biggest challenge I face currently is finding enough time in the day to do everything I want. For the past six months I been working to finish up my advanced training and it’s finally coming to an end. I take my national registry on December 22nd so I plan to be at it again after that. One thing to keep in mind when you’re struggling to keep a schedule or producing content is to never have a zero day. Always do something, even if it’s for 5 minutes that goes toward your content/channel/game/whatever, because those 5 minutes add up over time, zero doesn’t.

LG: What is your favorite YouTube video you've made? Why?

Des: My favorite YouTube video I ever created was the first one of a short series I did called My Career. The idea behind the series was to create a sort of reality show/story around my career mode player in FIFA 15 and the lifestyle of a professional footballer. I really liked the idea of the series but it didn’t end up lasting since the time commitment for recording/editing took so long and I didn’t really develop a story to follow before starting it. I could see myself going back to it again but focusing the story to something more concrete to fit in an episodic miniseries.

LG: What has been your best Twitch experience?

Des: My best Twitch experience was probably during the Twitch Plays Old Spice. In a sea of thousands of people with chat going crazy, I typed “Balance the scale” as a command to give Survivor Man. It was picked and Survivor Man proceeded to balance the scale and was able to find a piece of the golden retainer. You’re welcome chat. Other than that, I’ve had a handful of great experiences playing CS:GO with viewers. Between chasing a chicken all round with them and we still manage to win the round. It’s also cool to be playing with your viewers, ranking up together and seeing everyone improve at the game.

LG: What advice do you have for anyone starting out on YouTube? What kind of things are important for a new YouTuber to know?

Des: If you’re going to start producing content, doesn’t matter if it’s for YouTube or Twitch, make sure you have a schedule set that you can meet all the time. I’d say that’s the number rule no matter what, and make sure your audience knows your schedule. People will start expecting to see you at certain times or wanting your new video every Saturday morning when they’re in bed waking up. That’s what keeps people coming back, when they get into a routine of always watching you at a certain time in their day/week.

LG: Do you remember the "Berenstein Bears" or "Berenstain Bears"? What is your take on this?

Des: I’d say the Berenstein Bears because the letters look and sound nicer.

For anyone who'd like to scope out some of the content Des has made, you can find him at the following places:

http://twitch.tv/destvgaming

http://youtube.com/destvgaming

http://twitter.com/destvgaming

http://liftgaming.com/author/des/

SuperBadJuJu.png

#4 SuperBadJuJu

SuperBadJuJu

Lift Veteran

• Lift Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 01:36 PM

The next recipient of the Lift Gaming Community Spotlight is...

Stemor61

Stemor.png

Stemor has been with us for almost an entire YEAR now! His stream has gone through many changes since he joined us and he has pursued streaming persistently and passionately.  A tech wizard, PC Gamer extraordinaire, this spotlight is much deserved.   

Lift Gaming: Hey there Stemor! Can you tell us a bit about your stream and what your goals are? What's your style?

Stemor: Hey! I'm Steven, better known by my Twitch alias Stemor61.  The core focus of my channel is community, one that's equally capable of serious discussion and goofy shenanigans. I facilitate a place for people to forget about their day-to-day problems, make friends and have a good time. Like my community, I’m interested in an array of genres so I stream a lot of different games. My main goals at the moment are to continue to build my community, improve anything that I see needs improvement and experiment with new content and ideas, on and off Twitch.

My casting style tends to reflect the pace of the game I’m playing but overall I would say my stream is relaxed. I try to keep up-to-date on games, gaming industry and technology as a personal interest and to be knowledgeable and informative if the topic arises. I want people to feel as if we’re all hanging out on a big couch, talking about life and games and anything else that might come up.

What got you into streaming?  What casters would you say influence you the most?

Stemor:  Two things happened that got me initially interested in streaming.  First, I had a friend who streamed when we would play together and I talked to his chat when he had it. Before I had fired up my own stream, I was already well-versed in that multi-tasking and I really enjoyed the interaction.

Second, right around the time I was introduced to Twitch, I stumbled upon MANvsGAME's channel, a story shared by many streamers. It really demonstrated to me that Twitch is a platform where you can let your personality shine and connect with awesome people from around the world.

Aside from a few larger streamers and gaming content makers, I'm influenced most by streamers I have become friends with, talk to and watch daily.

ne8V6xn.jpg

What has been your biggest challenge when it comes to building and growing your channel?

Stemor:  The biggest challenge by far has been dealing with personal problems over the last 12 months. It had a negative effect on me and my stream. Looking at my statistics during that time really drives it home. My channel had really started to build momentum and those events stonewalled me. The positive side was that I discovered who the real members of my community are and how much they care about me and what I'm doing.

The universal challenge is uncertainty and simply not knowing everything. As streamers, we're all kind of learning as we go and that knowledge will come with time, experience, advice from others and a willingness to adapt.

What is your favorite streaming moment that really stands out in your memory?

Stemor:  I like to think all the times someone has told me "I had a bad day and your stream made me feel better" or "Your stream is my favorite" all add up to one moment where all the work that I've put into my stream is validated.

You recently changed your policy on how you handle trolls...can you explain that and why you decided to approach trolls this way?

Stemor:  My moderators used to do what any normal moderator would do to a troll: warn them, time them out and/or ban them. We had situations with people trying to insult me that made me laugh instead and that served as a precursor. After some thinking about those run-ins and watching panels at TwitchCon about communities, I decided that I would try to harness trolls for entertainment.

Any time we get a troll, they have to make me laugh or be original. If they don't, I tell them they can spend a few minutes in timeout to think of something better. If they do so, they can stay. If they fail, they get banned.

It's turning negativity into something positive, something from which we can derive amusement. Some trolls are really just normal viewers looking for entertainment. They will see it as a challenge and everyone will have a laugh if they pull it off. It also tends to weed out malicious and "low-effort" trolls.

This definitely isn't a policy for everyone but I think it works for me and my community. We're all a bit snarky and try not to take ourselves too seriously.

If you had to give some advice to a new streamer, based on your experience, what would it be?

Stemor:  Learn your stuff. Things go wrong, and when they do, you need to know how to fix them. Getting bogged down in a technical problem mid-stream is going to kill your flow and potentially drive away new viewers. If you don't know how something works or how to make it work, hit up the Lift forum or ask someone (like me) for help. We've all had those moments so we sympathize with you.

Is the world REALLY round? How do you know?

Stemor:  I've got a couple for this one:

Whether or not the Earth is round or not is irrele-- Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

B.o.B. is definitely the kind of person my community would derive amusement from.

How can the world be real if our eyes aren't real? NotLikeThis

I have a rule in my chat about self-advertising... OpieOP

You can find Stemor over at www.twitch.tv/Stemor61

SuperBadJuJu.png

#5 SuperBadJuJu

SuperBadJuJu

Lift Veteran

• Lift Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 02:20 PM

Helixia is our newest Lift Gaming Community Spotlight feature!

lmPSjGr.jpg

Helixia has been with us for a long time and is always willing to share her knowledge and help a fellow streamer out.  She's been an exemplary Lift member. 

Lift Gaming:  Hey there Helixia!  We're pumped to have you as our next Spotlight, you've been an active supporter of Lift and we're glad you're here.  Why don't you tell us about how you got into streaming and a little about your channel? 

Helixia: I essentially started streaming to share my love for video games and to improve my English. At first it was awkward, but after some time I got more comfortable sitting in front of the camera and over time my English improved.  My channel is all about having fun and people tune in to see me hunt achievements as I go through single player games which I play for the first time. In the stream I try to bring viewers together and to let them form a community and get to know each other.

LG:  You seem to know your way around a computer and are always helping out with coding related stuff, what sort of computer skills would be good for an aspiring streamer to learn? 

Helixia: First of all a aspiring streamer should learn the BEEP BEEP language and the onezero language.  When your computer beeps and shows a bunch of ones and zeros then your computer is sick.

Joking aside it would be very handy to know HTML and CSS.  With these 2 languages you can make some cool stuff like on screen chats, alerts and other notifications for your stream.

It is also handy to have some knowledge about Windows, because that will make setting up / enhancing / troubleshooting your stream easier.

LG:  What are some challenges you face streaming?  How do you approach them?  Is running a multilingual channel a challenge? 

Helixia: One of the biggest challenges is dealing with the feeling you are not growing. These kinds of situations make me more insecure than I already am. When I am in that kind of situation I try to be positive about my stream and think about the good things in my stream. Besides that I also look at my channel and look for things which I do wrong or can change.

Sometimes having a multilingual stream can be a challenge.  In some cases there's young Dutch viewers coming to the stream who cannot write very well in English.  They tend to only type in Dutch but I reply to them in English to make it kinda understandable for everyone and I try to make that viewer comfortable in the stream.

LG:  Who would you say your biggest influences are when it comes to streaming? 

Helixia: My biggest streaming influences are pokeyoureyesoutgames and ajirakimberly.

Pokeyoureyesoutgames: Ed managed to make Euro/American truck simulator fun to watch. When Ed casts with Lola it is even more fun to watch.

Ajirakimberly: I met him a few months ago, since then I really like to watch his stream and he really helped me out with choosing a dynamic mic and giving my channel a different look.

LG:  What are some of your long term channel goals?  What are your plans to pursue them? 

Helixia: My long term streaming goal is to have an active community and have a busy yet manageable chat in every stream. To pursue my goal I often look online, on places like Reddit/Lift.  Some good tips and tricks are posted there.  At the same time I try to look what things I can improve on my own channel.

LG:  Tell us about your favorite streaming moment you've had 

Helixia: That is a really though question.  I don't have one favorite moment in particular.  But my favorite moments are when I see my regulars finding their way to my stream and inviting new viewers to my stream.

LG:  How do we stop the Lizard People?

Helixia: Easy. We put all the lizard people in a giant refrigerator. Then the humans can take back America again and rule these lizard people out. The lizard people then go back to their planet, because the earth is too cold for them.

You can find Helixia at www.twitch.tv/helixia

SuperBadJuJu.png